Monday, December 23, 2013

December 18

.

The neighbors fed the squirrels on the 17th and 18th. 



I counted seven in their yard at once -- this pic has six........



The 18th was a more-interesting-than-usual day, for sitting inside and looking out.

These guys came and took off the manhole cover at the end of our driveway.  They used some sort of detector to locate the cover, under the snow.  They dug it free.  Then one of them WHALLOPED the cover with a sledge hammer, and lifted it off. 

I was surprised -- I would have thought it was cast iron, and I thought cast iron was brittle.......  I'm sure it was frozen in place, but I wouldn't have thought that giving it a mighty whack was a good idea........


They stuck this thing down there.



They turned it and turned it (and turned it and turned it).



Then they turned it all the way back, put the cover on, and drove away.  I assume they were exercising a valve................



Later.  Walking.  Interesting clouds.



There is still a little color, here and there........




More bamboo that is apparently unphased by the wintry conditions.  At this point it had been under freezing 24/7 for days, with some temps in the single digits.  This is some hardy bamboo.



Sunset in the southwest.


.

No comments: