Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Music's Big Bang

.

Yet another interesting Coursera class -- Music's Big Bang:  the Genesis of Rock 'n' Roll

If you are thinking "ANOTHER class?????" you are absolutely right.  I'm "only listening," but still...........

It is, however, interesting to see another person's take on all the things I heard in A History of Rock and Roll.

This new guy is a much straighter shooter -- no beating around the bush for him.  "The popular music business was all about making money, NOT about art.  The performers were just commodities."  This is not substantially different from what I heard before, but is said in a much more direct and polarized way.....

So -- it's interesting, and I expect I'll listen to the lectures.  Those of you in the audience who listened to A History of Rock might find this interesting as well.  This class is really on "the birth of rock" rather than on rock itself.  It ends in 1960.

He does actually play us some music.  Fragments, rather than whole pieces, and, so far, only the really old ones.........

.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

You DO take some of the most fun classes!

I need orange said...

Yes. :-)

I figure there are enough "should do"s in life -- the classes I take at this point are for fun. :-)