Thursday, May 22, 2014

I am starting to think it's a miracle...

... that any of us can walk, or talk, or even live in the first place.

With all the things that can go wrong at the molecular level in our cells, and all that can go wrong in our nervous systems, I'm beginning to think it's totally amazing that any of us can toddle around, utter any sounds at all (let alone voice coherent thoughts), see, walk, or anything else.

Oy vey.

I'm getting creeped out by hearing about every last thing that can go wrong with our nervous systems.  A stroke here does this; a stroke there does that.  This kind of aphasia.  That kind of aphasia........

Yikes.



Call me small-minded, but I'd much rather learn about coat-color inheritance in cats than strokes, and brain tumors, and aphasia, oh my!

!!!



Digression:
I believe that when people hear about diseases or problems, some proportion of them think they have whatever it is.  I wonder how many of the people taking this class will pay a visit to the emergency room during the class.  And how many of them will have needed to.  And how many of them would have made that trip to the ER, anyway, without what they learned in the class.................... Wouldn't it be interesting to know the answers to these questions?
End of digression.




I'm working on holding onto the thought that almost always, almost everything turns out OK!

.

No comments: