Saturday, June 14, 2014

understanding what we hear

.

My epigenetics prof is in Australia.  For the most part, I haven't had any trouble understanding her.

This week, however, has presented challenges.

We've been learning how the epigenetic machinery is involved in cancer.  Whether things are hyPOmethylated or hyPERmethylated is a night-and-day sort of difference.

Here in Michigan, if a local person wanted to emphasize that difference, we might sit, hard, on that R.  "Hyperrrrrrrrrrrrrmethylated."

My Australian teacher touches lightly on her Rs, compared to people in my part of the world.  And her long O sound is different from ours, and is, to my ears, considerably closer to the sound she makes when she says "er" than my "o" is to my "er" (at least, it is, the way I hear it)............

Of course, context is (nearly) everything, as my neurobio prof said a week ago, when she discussed hearing.  Context is a huge clue as to whether something would be hyPOmethylated or hyPERmethylated............

And -- thank goodness we have video, rather than only audio.  I have been able tell, from context, and by watching my Aussie prof closely, whether she has said "hyPOmethylated" or "hyPERmethylated." 

All but once.  One time, I just couldn't tell..............

.

No comments: