Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 15

.

Daylilies.

These newer varieties are often a lot bigger and a lot more substantial than the old-fashioned ones. 




Crocosmia.  Its leaves have an almost irisy look.




This flower was huge.  Bigger than my outspread hand.




Yesterday's flower.



Bee balm, also known as monarda.



Up close and personal.




Yarrow, with correopsis in the background.



Closeup.



I think this is scabiosa.



Closer.




A closer look at its spiky bud.



Baby milkweed seedpods.



Cone flower (or echinacea).



Hostas, cosmos, and I don't know what the purple stuff is, from here.  All in a patch of sunlight.



Milkweed.  Its leaves are substantial and big.  Butterfly weed, with very similar flowers, has smaller and much less substantial leaves.




Daylilies.




A big bunch of bee balm.




Another new daylily.



Pink is not my fave, but I make an exception for this flower.  Love the yellow and chartreuse.......



Zinnia.



Love my "slow maginifying glass".............

.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

My day lilies were small this year. The bee balm was great, except I stepped in it and bent stems so it's sort of wonky but still pretty. All this rain has been good for the flowers!

I need orange said...

All this rain is just fine with me. :-) Except right now I could use a good laundry day! :-) I hang my wash outside, and I've been waiting for a day that is supposed to be dry all day..... Of course it turned out that I could have done some yesterday, AND the day before, but the prediction in the morning was for rain in the afternoon........

Hoping for tomorrow! :-)