Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July 16 -- Art Fair

.

The Ann Arbor Art Fairs started on July 16.  I took the bus downtown, and walked to the (newish) location of the original fair (which used to be on South U. but now is on Ingalls Mall, between the League and Hill Auditorium.

These are Greg Barnes's pastels.  Love them...................



A better look at this one.  Really nice.



It was gray and chilly (much better, in my mind, than sunny and 90!).

This dance troupe put forth a LOT of energy for the few people who were there watching them as the fair began on Wednesday the 16th.



They're doing some work on the bell tower (Burton Tower, home of the campus carillon).




That's the league, with the bell tower behind it.  The street is North U.



I don't remember ever seeing an instrument like this one.  It sounded nice, I thought.



Chalk going down in someone's booth.



Closer........



Daylilies and geraniums.



I don't watch Project Runway, but I know someone who does....



The ceramist was explaining to this fair-goer how he'd made this enormous pot.



Mom, just for you -- JT is still potting....



This person likes contrast and saturated color as much as I do.  These were enormous.  I think the pieces of the Florence triptych are 3'x4'. You can get some idea of scale from that person who is just visible at right.  He was a ways away from these.....



I love this table.  If I had a beach cottage, with a wide empty hallway..................  The artist's sign says William Alburger, in case you actually do have a beach cottage and a wide empty hallway.



Love the washed turquoise thing behind it, too.  Don't you think the table, with the turquoise wall piece behind it, need that orange bouquet in the next booth?


I saw a lot of art that I admired, but didn't take many pics.  Some booths had "NO PHOTOS!" signs, and I didn't feel like asking, asking, asking if it was ok to take pics.  I was pleased to see a lot more fiber than in some years.  Quilters, clothing makers (in dress fabrics, and in knitted fabrics), people working in various ways with felt......  Hooray for more fiber!

By the time I reached the booth above (which was at the corner of North U. and State), I was hungry, so I went down to Jerusalem Garden for lunch.  There were a number of people waiting for take-out, but I was able to walk right in and sit at the counter.  My felafel with tabouleh sandwich (a pita wrap, but they call it a sandwich) was delicious.

.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I rarely get down there -- it's too crowded for me although I love the art. I agree with you about that table. Very nice!

I need orange said...

I wouldn't travel to go to it, either. It is very often WAY too crowded (not to mention I surely wouldn't want to try to park!).

That was a nice thing about the day being cool and gray -- Wednesday morning wasn't nearly as crowded as it would have been otherwise!

I need orange said...

That table is nice, isn't it. I love the way they melded the weathered wood with smoother pieces of wood. Love the grain, and the color.............