Sunday, September 21, 2014

September 15

.

Acorn.



I'd never realized the cap is made of (covered with?) scales, nor that the scales are neatly outlined in a darker color........



Nasturtiums.  I don't remember seeing this sort of paint-splash variegation on nasturtium leaves............




The nearly-circular leaves are unusual to begin with, and then with these splashy colors.....



Datura.  Big furled buds unroll into big flowers with interesting edges.





Another day, another mosey, another bright leaf.  Same old me and Burt, still with Apothecary Rose.





On the evening of the 15th I did something Different.

Usually when I see lists of events at the U, I think "I should go."  But I don't.

On the 15th, the incoming-freshman voice majors put on a recital -- one short-ish song each.

I went, and I'm glad I did.  They were fun to hear.  I wish I knew what their goals and aspirations are.  Opera?  Musical theater?  Teaching?

Some were very polished (told the accompanist when they were ready, and then shared the applause with the accompanist), some looked pretty nervous. 

To my uneducated ear, they all sounded good, and some sounded very good indeed.  I wondered what the educated ears in the crowd knew that I didn't know.....

Here they are, afterwards.  Some of them look 18, and some look 28!



The people taking the official pics asked them to alternate between serious pics, and wild and crazy pics.



I bet asking them for wild and crazy is a good way to get the serious pics taken after ... this ... to be more animated............



I thought during the concert that they are so young -- so new-in-the-world.  All beginning a new phase in their lives, presumably with big dreams and lofty goals.

I was thinking, afterward, that it was interesting to have them begin their college careers with a performance that says "Here.  This is what I have come here to build upon."  In my imagination they might think "This is my intent, my plan, my purpose."

Psychology majors, and math majors don't put on public presentations for the wider community, to say "Here.  This is why I have come to this place............."

I think it was cool for them to begin in this way, and I am glad I got to witness it. 



I wonder if any of them will ever become household names.....................

.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love nasturtiums and your shots of those and the acorns are just stunning. So much texture in both of them, and pattern. The concert looked fun -- haven't been to a good one in awhile!

I need orange said...

Thanks!

Yes, I'm really glad I went to the concert! I need to make a goal to go to one every month or two.

Living in a town with a big university -- there's so much interesting stuff going on!