Thursday, March 05, 2015

echoes.................

.

You know those moments where it seems that things line up and the universe is speaking directly to you?

This morning I'm listening to The Brain in Space.  Dr. G. is talking about the info we use to estimate our distance from the source of a sound.  One of the ways we gather info about sound is by paying attention to echoes.

As she talked about echoes and sound, she mentioned how hard it can be to determine exactly WHICH smoke detector's battery is going dead and causing the smoke detector to chirp from time to time.

Guess who has been dealing with that exact issue this morning?

We have a batch of 9-volt batteries in a drawer, and I swapped out the battery in the smoke alarm I thought was chirping, but then I think it chirped again.  The batteries are not all that new -- it's entirely likely that I replaced one moribund battery with another.

Or, it's possible that it was another smoke detector that was chirping.  There are two that are in the same basic direction from the location of the computer I'm using (one on the stairs to upstairs, and one on the stairs to the basement).

I've moved the smoke detector I think is chirping.  It is now to my left, instead of behind me.  If the next chirp comes from my left, I'll change out the battery I just put in.  If the next chirp comes from behind me, I'll give the smoke detector over the basement stairs a new battery.  A newER battery.....

The battery I put in 20 minutes ago (or so) was the second one in an opened package.  There are two unopened packages of 9-volts in the drawer, which, I hope, are newer than the opened package......

.

No comments: