Tuesday, March 17, 2015

March 4, botanical garden conservatory, part 7

.

We are near the amaryllis again....



This is a dwarf olive.  The flowers are teeny.  The leaves look to me to be about the same size as the leaves of "regular" olive trees.  I've never seen a "regular" olive tree blooming, so I can't say if these flowers are the size of "regular" olive flowers.



Here are some incipient olives.  I think the biggest one here was under half an inch in length.



Cinnamon.  This is a handsome plant, with shiny sturdy leaves.  It was small -- not more than a yard tall, I think.  I have no idea how big these get.



Bird of paradise.  This was a really big flower.  My memory of how big stuff was is fading, but I bet this flower was 18" long.



As you might surmise, those really big flowers come on really big plants.  See the flower, just below the center of the next image?  See the amaryllis in the right bottom corner, for scale?  Big happy amaryllis flowers can be more than 6" across, and the plants are 2-2.5' tall (with the very tallest kinds being taller yet).



More amaryllis.........  Mmmmmmmm.......




Another look at cyclamens through the kaleidoscope.  Love what the grassy stuff is doing in this one.



The info says this is an orchid.  Lots and lots of really small flowers (half an inch across?).




Surinam cherry.  I bet the red ones are ripe, and the yellow ones -- not so much.



Surinam cherry bark.



I mentioned earlier that there are lots of plants in the conservatory that are small-tree sized, but don't qualify as trees.

Like this one.  I *think* it's a banana, but I'm not sure. 



Those leaves are over 6' long.



One last look at this excellent curly epiphyte.....



One last look at the bromeliads near the entrance to the conservatory....



There are usually plants for sale in the lobby, along with greeting cards, books, and many other interesting things.  This plant was available to take home on the 4th.



Back to reality.  It was a nice bright day, but cold

On March 3, we had had rain on top of all the snow.  There was an icy crust on the snow.  The iced snow not only was extremely smooth and reflective, but it had a strange rounded quality.  As though all the snow had been shrink-wrapped.  I don't remember ever seeing anything like it before........

You can't see this very well in this next image, but look at the footprints, bottom right.  The edges are so rounded.........


.

No comments: