Sunday, April 26, 2015

April 18 -- rest of the day

.

Tulips.





Lots of houses near the farmers' market have been seriously upgraded.  Here is one that is in process of a major upgrade.  They are saving/repairing the original facade.



And more than doubling the original amount of space, it looks like.  Wish I could get a tour when they're done!



Later.  Walking in the neighborhood.

Magnolia.  The pink ones are usually later than the white one we looked at a few days ago, but this year early April was so warm that everything is bursting into bloom.



Another look at the same magnolia.



Maple flowers.



Closer.



Closer yet.  See how we can see the chartreuse wings of the would-be seeds, already?




Look how a whole bunch of flowers come out of one thing.  As though they were coming out of a trumpet.  A fanfare of flowers.



Species tulips.  I don't think I'd seen this folded-over petal arrangement in a tulip before.

Update from my buddy K.:  These are not species tulips but rather are "dog-tooth violet" or "trout lily."  From that link:  "Recognized by its brown-mottled leaves"..........

Thanks, K.!  :-)



Here are  a couple of flowers that are farther along.  I wonder if the petals that were curved over in front are the same ones that are curved so far around in back on these two?  Or if one trio of petals curves forward, and when they open, the other trio curves back?




Here's that same white magnolia we looked at before.  Wow, eh?  With that blue blue blue background?




This tree has very fuzzy buds.



Do you remember, last fall, when we looked at the hosta that had fruit?  This is what became of the fruit, over the winter.  Dried empty pods..........




A few years ago I bought a package of random species-tulip bulbs for a dollar.  This is one of them.  I don't know that I would have chosen this color, but all by itself, when I'm still starved for color, I like it!



.

No comments: