Monday, June 01, 2015

May 27

.

Japanese lilac.




Iris.  Probably because I grew up with purple iris, yellow iris just seems ... wrong.  Pretty.  But ... wrong.  I can admire it, but I wouldn't grow it.




Pink poppy.



Pink poppy bud.



I don't know what this is.  The flowers are about an inch across, and the plant likes to cascade down from a height.  We are looking at the beautiful garden on my old block, and this is the same stuff whose shadows we admired a few days ago.




Ok.  How did these marks get on this house?   Great big swinging arcs that look like they were made by rubbing something on the siding.

The last time we saw marks anything like these, they were made by an elephant at the Toledo Zoo, rubbing big plastic or rubber items against a concrete wall.






Condofungus under construction across the street from the beautiful garden.  I hope they don't shade the garden too much.  I think they will be relatively low, in comparison to the 10-15-story apartment buildings that are springing up everywhere.



Petunias at the farmers' market.  I love petunias, but have never been successful at growing them.  They just quit blooming after I get them home........



Later.  Walking to yoga.  Rhododendron.





The sky over West Park.



When I got to the pond, I looked for the ducklets.  I did not see them.  Last year's early batch of ducklets disappeared.  (Two more batches survived to flying time, hooray.)

I feared for this year's early batch, but here they are, near the east edge of the pond, in a pile.  With Mama very nearby, keeping an eye on the monkeys.



The babies weren't moving around, but they were not asleep.  They were keeping an eye out, too.  It's good to be cautious, little ducks.  It's a dangerous world.......



Later.  After yoga.

Iris.  These are my faves.  Love those dark purple and white tiger stripes on the falls (is that what those downward petals are called, on iris?)...........

I have chatted, a few times, with the gardener who grows these.  Next time I see her out, I'm going to ask if I might be able to purchase a start of these iris...............





Same garden, different iris.  Yellow ones with rusty brown falls, dark purple ones, red-purple ones.  She has paler, bigger yellow ones, and pale orange ones, too, but I would have had to stand in the street to get pics of those, and 7th is busy enough that I didn't want to do that.



In my own yard.  Chives.



.

No comments: