Saturday, June 27, 2015

skunk

.

Yesterday morning there was a skunk in our yard.  I believe that is the first time I've ever seen a skunk on my property in my whole life.

I hope it was the last!

We still have no fence on the north side (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......).

We didn't see where the skunk came from.  My better half spotted it on the patio, and it went out under the fence in the southeast corner of the fenced yard.  RIGHT next to the house......  I got there in time to see its hairy white tail, but no chance to even think of pics.

Striped skunk Florida.jpg
"Striped skunk Florida" by Kevin Bowman - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinbowman/232824293/. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.



I rested an old board against the bottom of the fence, and held it in place with the garbage bin.

I figure anything you can do to discourage a skunk from coming into your yard is probably a good thing.

I shouldn't complain -- there is a major deer problem in town (too much food, too few predators).  It is very rare to see a deer in our neighborhood.  But maybe it's getting worse.  One of my neighbors saw one in the early spring, and I saw one six or eight weeks ago.

Better a skunk passing through than a herd of deer, I suppose.  Especially as we no longer have a dog to aggravate a skunk and get sprayed by it....

.

2 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

I had a barn skunk for a couple years. I'd see him crawl out and toodle down towards the creek and head out for the night. Never caused any trouble...but he wasn't in my yard ;-).

I need orange said...

So Hank is clearly bright enough to leave a skunk alone....

Willard Burton was not a stupid dog, but he got skunked three different times. In our back yard. So there must have been skunks there at times when I never saw them.

The last two of the times were very bad. Left him salivating, squinching his eyes, etc.

Nature's Miracle Skunk-Off really, really works. If you use it as directed. I only sponged the top of his head and his face, rather than drenching as I drenched the rest of him, and we could still smell skunk on the top of his head for the better part of a year...........

At least I got smart enough to not let him in, in the summer, without having a whiff......... A dog who has been skunked is (in my experience!) extremely eager to wipe himself on the carpet, the furniture, you name it, while running through the house like a mad thing. This is not desirable........... lol...................

Carrying him through the house to the tub, while wearing clothes you don't really care about, is vastly preferable. Especially if the Skunk-Off is waiting for you in the bathroom!