Tuesday, December 15, 2015

December 2 -- zoo -- part 4

.

Rhinosterwurst!  The extra-armored greater one-horned kind, I believe.



Closer look at right front leg, and surrounding protection.



Penguins.  These are African penguins, not Antarctic ones.



Pretty sure the two at right, above, are chicks.  Not the same coloring as the others....



Stellar sea eagles.  I don't think I'd seen these before the 2nd......



Hmmm.  Big nesting colony.  Outside the zoo.  There is a lake out there, and these trees are on an island.  These are big nests.  I tried to find out what kind.  I found an article that talked about cormorant nests, and also mentioned heron nests.  I *think* both kinds of birds nest in colonies....

Someone does some serious nesting here, but I don't know who!



Rhino.



Dall sheep!  The only other time I've "seen" these was in the wild, in Alaska, where they appeared as white specks through the lenses of a telescope.  (The owner of the telescope estimated them at a mile distant.)  While I am thrilled that there are places where they can live wild and free, it's more satisfying to me to *see* them rather than "see" them.....



Cheetah enjoying the sunshine.



It was time for some lunch.  I got Thai green curry soup.  It was pretty good, and not too hot.  I sat beside a big window and looked out onto the patio.  One intrepid group ate lunch outside, but the rest of us were inside.



Hey!  Look!  I don't think I'd seen hyenas in the flesh, before the 2nd!  I was about 5' from this one.



I don't like to show the fencing/netting/plexiglas, generally speaking, but in the image above I thought it told part of the story (how close were we, really?).

Here's the sort of image I'd rather have, almost always.....



We'll assume they are not dogs, as its face is nice and sharp and clear.  But they surely have dog-like feet!



On the topic of "dogs or cats?", Wikipedia says "Although phylogenetically they are closer to felines and viverrids, hyenas are behaviourally and morphologically similar to canines in several aspects; both hyenas and canines are nonarboreal, cursorial hunters that catch prey with their teeth rather than claws. Both eat food quickly and may store it, and their calloused feet with large, blunt, nonretractable nails are adapted for running and making sharp turns."



Dog-like foot (and, I'll add, dog-like posture, with foot sticking out the back).




The cheetahs were having a love-in, when I went by their enclosure again.






Awwwwww.


.

No comments: