Friday, August 11, 2017

May 22 -- part 2, going north through Bryce

.

Here is a link to the interactive expedition map.


Back to Agua Canyon.  No ravens up close and personal when we were there on the 22nd.



Sometimes when we were at a view point, a busload of tourists would stop at the view point.  The bus drivers would get off and tell their passengers about what they were seeing.  There are two famous hoodoos at Agua Canyon:  The Hunter and the Rabbit.




The bus driver told everyone that the Rabbit has experienced rockfall in recent years, and looks less like a rabbit than it used to.  I believe the projection on its left is supposed to be the rabbit's nose.  From this angle, in this light, the projection at right looks like a human nose and the one at left looks like a cheek bone....

Note black specs in sky, upper left.  I suspect they are ravens.....




It was a gorgeous day.  (Note patches of snow on the ground in the lower right corner.)



I think this is a new view point.  No bus driver here, to tell us what this one is called.



I think this is yet another view point.

Looking straight down at rocks, baby tree, yellow flowers.



Natural Bridge view point in the sunshine....



Aspens.



I don't know what this one is called, either.  (Not that I have any confidence that everyone would give the same name for any of these.....)




Another view point.



I don't think I saw it when I was there, in person, but the previous view point is visible in the above image.  Having seen it on "the big screen," I think I can make out the fence near the right side of the image above.  (I have upped the contrast a bunch in this next one, so we can see the fence more clearly.)




There's the Aquarius Plateau on the horizon.



The same sort of evergreen flower we saw yesterday, but in a different location.



This might be another part of the same kind of tree.  Or might not....



The "canyons" of Bryce "Canyon" National Park are all on the east side of the road down through the park, so all the view points are on the right as you drive back north through the park.  There are a couple of places with picnic tables, on the west side of the road, but they are not granted "view point" names.

We stopped at one of them, on the 22nd, just to see what was on the other side of the road.  It was different from the other places we'd stopped.

For one thing, the landscape wasn't so precipitous.  For another, there were a ton of holey rocks.  They look almost like bones, but they are rocks, I'm 99.99% sure.



Closer crop -- one of these little plants is about to flower.



This area had clearly been burned.



I don't think I'd ever seen a stump with this sort of crumbly bits between the inside and the bark of the tree.....



This was definitely charred.



Insect damage *and* burn damage.....



One of the same kind of little plant as above, I think, with a daisy-type flower.  I like all the strong lines from the dead plant bits.



More holey rocks.  I wonder how these were formed!



The bottom of a fallen tree.



Closer.  Love these colors......



A different tree, farther down the path toward "return to the earth."


Here is a link to the next post about the Grand Canyon trip.

.

No comments: