Tuesday, January 02, 2018

May 30, part 2 -- two different afternoon plans

.

Here is a link to the interactive expedition map.



On May 30th, I was tired of running around.  I was ready to just stay put at the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  I hung out at the gift shop, the visitors' center, and the lodge.

Cool sign!  Layers of wood....



Our daughter had a hike in mind for May 30, which required a drive to Point Imperial.  My husband went along on the hiking expedition.  I had thought I would put up two posts for the middle section of May 30, but I didn't take very many pictures, so the middle sections of our day are interleaved in this post.

This is the first of my husband's pics of the hike, which skirted this section of the rim of the canyon.  (This is the very first blog post I've ever made that is mostly not my pictures, and mostly not of places I've ever seen.)



The point of rock, top center-ish, is Mount Hayden, which is visible from many, many points along this hike.  (note sporadic burnt trees)




Meanwhile, in the gift shop -- I was admiring first nations wisdom.



I settled in the enormous room in the lodge, on an enormous couch.  I wrote postcards.  There is a teeny post office at the north rim.  You can buy stamps, and they hand stamp the cancellation when you mail things, with a stamp that says "North Rim."  (Love those special cancellations!)  I also had a novel with me, and I spent some time reading.  The next two pics were taken as I sat on that huge couch in the lodge.



Talk about a big sky............



Meanwhile, back on the trail.....




Everything you can see along this trail is something you can NOT see from the area right around the lodge.  This is more Grand Canyon, but it's a different part of the canyon.  Note how it is still Grand Canyon as far as we can see, in the upper left of the next image.....



This is a closer crop of the upper left quadrant of the above.



And closer yet -- that highest blue line is more landscape, seriously obscured by haze........




Fetching a drink from the fill-your-water-bottle dispenser outside the door to the lodge, walking back through the lodge past the dining room.  This next image is a look into the dining room.  (Expect to make reservations if you want to eat here.  It's the only show in town if you want a sit-down dinner....



Back on the trail.



Mount Hayden, again, at left.



This hike was a walk out, and then back, along the same trail.  I don't know which of these pics are near the turn-around point....





My daughter says this is the least-traveled trail she's ever been on.  Both of them said it was hard to tell where the trail was, much of the time (in part because so few feet mashed it down, I'm sure).  This pic shows a pile of rocks that were clearly arranged by human hands, beside a somewhat trodden down area.  I wonder if it marks the trail.



Closer crop of the center of the above.



No matter where you stand, looking out over the Grand Canyon, it seems to go forever.



Interesting shadow in the middle of the image.....



The next and the previous are similar, but the viewpoint is different.....




Back at the lodge.  Beginning to wonder when they'd be back.  We had dinner reservations.  (Cell service was spotty in the lodge, and basically nil elsewhere.)



On the trail.





Last pic from the expedition.  Last chance to see Mount Hayden, and to appreciate the immensity of the canyon from this location.


Here's a link to the next post about the Grand Canyon trip.

.

No comments: