Friday, August 10, 2018

August 5, 2018

.

I’m not fond of big parking lots. 

But I am fond of big-sky views, and parking lots make big-sky views possible. No trees = better sky views. Looking west over a big parking lot the evening of August 5.



Those black spots, pretty much in the middle of the next image, are crows.



Closer.  The crows were headed toward our neighborhood.



Balloon flower.  (Reiterating note to self -- no white fences.  I photoshopped the picket behind the flower to clean it up, but the rest of the fence is as it was when I took the pic.)



Closer crop.



Phlox.



Closer.



Day lily.




Trees block big-sky views, but when there are no big trees, there are no crows. Crows gather in dozens and hundreds as the sun goes down, and then they spend the night as a dark and shining community in big trees.  On the morning of August 5, I woke with the crows, whose custom it is to greet the day with vigor and N. O. I. S. E.   I tried to get audio this morning, but failed.  

I was very pleased to encounter the crows as they gathered that evening. This time I was successful at capturing their chorus. They spend a good deal of time and energy choosing the right tree(s). A few will settle in a bunch of trees, and call to the rest. Groups move from tree to tree, as more and more crows arrive. I would love to know how they finally choose where they will spend a given night......



I wonder if the three crows in the second image in this post ended up spending the night with this bunch of crows.............

.

No comments: