Saturday, August 12, 2006

ATC a day for August, day 12

Yesterday I did a bunch of packing-tape transfers. I used an office-supply store's "best quality" tape, because that's what I had. It is thick and supple.

I discovered that the pic better have a bunch of white in it, or you can't tell at all that it's a transfer. I did a few with no white at all, and they might as well have been cut-outs from the paper itself. Why bother making a transfer?

This is the most sucessful. I did a two-piece montage (laid the penguin on the text, then applied the tape) to make the transfer, and then glued the transfer to cardstock.

1 comment:

I need orange said...

Easy as pie. Stick your piece of packing tape on a magazine image (I believe that some other sorts of images work, too, but magazines are all I've tried).

Burnish well (I've been using a spoon).

Soak in water. (I've been leaving them and walking away for an undetermined period of time.)

Rub soggy paper off the back with your thumbs, until all you feel is smoothness. If you have several layers of paper, you may need to rub one off and then leave the next to soak....

Hey presto, there's your transfer.

If you have rubbed it down to the clear tape, it's still sticky in those spots, but I haven't had enough of those to feel confident that it would stick by itself, so I've been glueing it down. I wonder about longevity......