Tuesday, April 17, 2018

January 27, 2018

.

Road trip!  I remember this giant tire from when I was a kid.



According to Wikipedia, "The Uniroyal Giant Tire was created by the Uniroyal Tire Company for the 1964 New York World's Fair, where it functioned as a Ferris wheel. Since 1966 it has served as a static display in Allen Park, Michigan, alongside Interstate 94, between the Southfield Freeway interchange and Outer Drive overpass."



Goin' to Deeetroit!  Starting at Sister Pie.



Closer crop of the above.



They have four kinds of pie, scones, and lots of cookies.  They often have "hand pies"which are small savory pies.  They have either a soup or a salad at lunch time.

They are very adventurous with their taste combinations. 

They are very supportive of their community, buying local honey, local herbs, local veggies (at Eastern Market, often). 

I'd been following them on Instagram for a while, and was eager to visit.



The day we were there they had honey lemon meringue, coffee chess, salted maple, and coconut squash pies.



We had salted maple and coffee chess.  (We were disappointed not to have squash, but we do not do coconut.)

The coffee chess pie was my favorite thing we tried.  I am not in favor of the current fad for big chunks of salt on desserts.......



Plants on the windowsills.



We ate pie, and then we bought a lot of things to taste later.  Three kinds of shortbread.  Three or four kinds of other cookies.  Their vegan brownie.



In addition to more salt on top of things than I'd prefer, there was coconut in a lot of things.  I actively dislike coconut.  It's not that I prefer other things, it's that I have a visceral "NO" reaction to coconut.

I'd really been looking forward to buckwheat choc chip cookies.  (Who knows what that might taste like?)   Unfortunately the coconut overwhelmed everything else but the chocolate.  (And there was coconut in the oatmeal cookie, too.  Booo.)  I think I would have liked the vegan brownie -- if they'd left the coconut out........



Both of the scones we tried were savory.  No coconut.  Yay.  I liked both of them.




Sister Pie is a fun and interesting place to visit, and I think everyone should go there and taste a lot of stuff.

The coffee chess pie (which is not on the menu at the moment, I think) is yummy.  I would definitely choose it again.  I was sorry there were no hand pies when we were there.  I wanted to taste them, too (the filling varies, so they're differing pretty much every time, I think).


.

No comments: